Within 20 minutes I was in the operating room. They didn't know if they had time to do a spinal block or if they needed to put me to sleep. Dr. V decided there was an extra minute. I laid on the table alone with the nurses. One tried to calm me down and the anesthesiologist snapped at her to be quiet. After that was done they let Scott come in the room. I was freezing and couldn't move or see anything. Felt like I couldn't breath and none of this was real. I was still thinking of our birth plan and how I wanted to see her and touch her when she was born and for Scott to do kangaroo care. Emergency c-sections are very traumatic, compared to E's birth it was already a nightmare.
She was cut from me at 2:36pm. I didn't hear a cry. They said they needed to go work on her and I wasn't panicked yet, I was mentally and physically in shock. I told Scott to leave me and go with her. I know that must have been hard for him to leave me open on the table but I wanted him with her. It was eerily quiet in the operating room, I remember thinking they needed elevator music or something. We had planned to collect her cord blood and tissue. They said there wasn't any cord blood to collect but they would save the cord to bank.
They told me they had to work on C, that she, was struggling to breath and I'd see her soon. It felt like it took forever to sew me back up and get me to recovery. In recovery I still couldn't feel my legs and they were freaking out that my body temperature was so low. They sent multiple nurses in with multiple thermometers.
Scott told me that he was so mad that the guy kept holding her up so he could take a picture instead of helping her. We just found out that she wasn't breathing for 2 minutes and struggled for the next hour before they incubated her.
At what assume was about 4:00pm Scott came in the room and he was a mess. I was still in shock and didn't grasp the gravity of the situation, I also didn't do homework on what is normal for a c-section birth. Soon after, a doctor came in and said "I met your daughter" at this point I was pissed that I hadn't been able to see her and responded something like "well that's nice that YOU have been able to see MY daughter". She immediately began to ignore me and only talk to Scott.
She said that she had been deprived of oxygen and we needed to consent for her to be transferred to another hospital for cooling (all gibberish to us). Scott signed the form and I asked if I could see her before they took her.
About 5pm the ambulance crew rolled a glass bed in and I tried to sit up but couldn't. I was able to see her feet before they took her. They said they had to get her on the cooling area within 4 hours of birth and with potential traffic it was going to be close. I didn't want her leaving without a name and we had or narrowed down to three names and chose C at the last minute. Scott drove behind them in the ambulance leaving me at the hospital.
Luckily a great friend was able to pick E up from school and take him home until my mom landed and got to the house. One less thing to worry about in the chaos.
I stayed at the hospital trying to get out of shock while beginning to pump for C and giving everyone updates. I didn't sleep a wink that night as I got texts from Scott at the NICU and others asking for updates.

No comments:
Post a Comment